by Jean M. Cogdell
Is your genre one of the top percenters?
I hadn’t given this much thought, until reading a great article on Medium by Erica Verrillo from the Writing Cooperative. And boy howdy, the stats were eye-opening. Erica gives stats on most popular genres with readers, agents and includes which genres make the most money.
What surprised me most?
Most books sold by genre…
- #1 – Children’s Fiction sells more than three times the number of adult books.
- #2 – Adult General Fiction came is second in sales.
Agents most requested genre…
- First Choice of Agents is NOT Children’s books, although these books are number one in sales.#1 – Request by agents is YA Fiction.
- #10 – Last on the lists for Agent request is Women’s Fiction. I’d expected this to be higher.
- Agents generally work on commission of 15%.
The genre that makes the most money…
- #1 – Dollar maker is Romance and Erotica, this includes self-published romance.
- #2 – Crime and Mystery novels
- #3 – Inspirational and Religious books, (go figure.) This includes self-help books.
- #4 – Fantasy and Science Fiction
Guest post contributed by Jean M. Cogdell. Jean grew up in a small SC town, near the Great Smoky Mountains. Her stories and essays are available in Fiction Southeast, Anthology Once Upon A Time, Flash Fiction World II, Scissors & Spackle, Squawk Back, WTD, YAREAH, and Angie’s Diary Online Magazine.